HistoryThe JCC of the East Bay began as the Berkeley Richmond JCC and was founded in 1978 by a group of like-minded individuals as an agency of the Jewish Federation of the Greater East Bay to serve as a catalyst and focal point for the development of a vital Jewish community in northern Alameda and western Contra Costa counties.
In 1981, the Center moved from the small storefront where it was originally located to our present home at 1414 Walnut Street in North Berkeley, a former public school and school board building. The JCC home is a registered national landmark, designed in the California Mission Revival style by noted architect Ernest Coxhead. In 1987, the Center purchased the property from the Berkeley Unified School District. In July 2006, we became an independent 501(c)3 agency and changed our name to the Jewish Community Center of the East Bay (JCC East Bay) to reflect our aspiration to serve communities throughout the East Bay.
In 2011, we opened a new branch of the JCC in North Oakland located at 5811 Racine Street (58th & Telegraph). This branch is home to the JCC Afterschool-Oakland Program and other family and adult programs and events.